Monday, November 22, 2010

And for this, I give thanks

We set a date for the install of our counters! Come December 3, I'll be sitting on the front porch, welcoming our countertop friends with open arms. And our sink. We can't forget the sink. Not that I think anyone has, as I've mentioned our lack of plumbing no less than 38 times in the last 3 posts...

But now it's time to get to work. No rest for the weary! The contractors were able to save the original wainscotting that was being suffocated by the black linoleum that coated the walls. Fearing what lied beneath, we debated whether to just demo the walls all together & start fresh. Boy, I'm glad we didn't! Once refinished, I think the charm of the old walls + the new cabinetry will look fantastic.

After the demo, here's what we ended up with:



It's going to take some scraping, sanding, priming & painting to get it to where we want it. But in the end it will be worth it...no doubt. And we need to have this accomplished before the countertops arrive. So today I'm officially giving thanks for the ability to DIY. Whether I like it or not. Hey, the walls aren't going to sand & repaint themselves now are they??

My thoughts have also turned towards an additional solution for counter/work space & a home for the husband's beloved Boos cutting board. Which, for those who don't know us...have I mentioned the kitchen is the husband's domain? I'm just the decorating diva. In fact, I was told today, "I don't invade your 'area', now please stay out of mine". I believe this direct quote came as a result of too much interjection on my part when it came to hosting this year's Thanksgiving feast...how I wanted the turkey, and how the mashed potatoes should be made the day before as to "save time", and how we need to purchase Cool Whip for the pies because people just want the Cool Whip damn it, and not some fancy homemade stuff (we're simpletons!). Anyhoo. I digress. Hosting a house full of folks without a sink has me a little stressed.


photos courtesy of Decor Pad


I'm loving the old school charm of the island in the first photo. I actually happened upon a similar option while on vacation this summer. But I was stumped as to how to get the thing home in a conversion SUV that was toting 3 passengers & luggage...on a 7-hour drive back to New York (as you can probably guess, it never happened). Craigslist is certainly an option, but I don't know about you...perusing that site is exhausting and very rarely turns up something good. Note to Craigslist sellers: "vintage" and "antique" are not adjectives to describe your 1985 rust orange sectional. Please stop wasting my time with such verbage.

In other news, we're 85% finished with Project Hallway! The husband just needs to touch up some areas on the walls (that are too tall for me to reach...and him too really, but, anyhoo...moving along) & replace the sconce that's currently on the wall. After that I'll need to sort out window treatments & the possibility of a runner on the stairs. But for the most part, we're pretty much ready to welcome guests through the front door! And it only took 3 years...

Lots of photos to come soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished