Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rewired

Remember these lamps I scored from the antique shop basement?


Two weekends ago they finally got a makeover. I liked the blue, but they were horribly finished by the shop owner (um, who paints lamps with a brush?!). First, I got to work pulling out the old wiring. The owner had cut the cords, but I would have rewired them anyway...these babies were old & unsafe! Next, I spray painted the gross gold top of the lamp (sorry kids...no before shots, you'll have to use your imagination)...


Much better! Now to prep for painting...



I went the predictable route, painting them white. I know, I know. At first, I toyed with the idea of red or yellow, but couldn't figure out how to draw the colors into the room. I admire rooms that are a mish-mash of color (and somehow seemlessly go together), but I knew painting the lamps these colors would mean I'd doubt my decision daily. And yes, I'm aware this is paint we're talking about here...oh the agony!



About 3/4 of the way through my project, I ran out of paint. On the way to the store, I had a change of heart. Does the blue spray paint in the background give you a clue what route I went?



In a strange twist of events, I was 100% happy with my decision. No looking back now! The husband on the other hand...not so much. I believe his response was, "are you sure?". Thankfully, doubting Thomas happily allows me to make most of the design decisions in our abode...so blue it is!

Next up? Time to rewire the lamps with the help of this easy step-by-step how to. The fabulous music & hip wallpaper may or may not have kept me interested, but in all honesty the video was uber easy for a novice rewiring gal like myself. Reading the directions on the packaging was like reading German (which I don't know), so this video allowed me to easily rewire 2 lamps without the assistance of the husband. Seriously, it was just too easy. GO ME.







At first I thought these Target shades were a little small for the size of the base, but they've definitely grown on me. At $14 a shade, they're much better than some of the larger drum pendants I found elsewhere for $42 each. Ouch! 


And I'll be sharing photos soon of what's become of all this fabulous fabric...so stay tuned!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished