Monday, December 6, 2010

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

I've been a little absent from the blog these days. Life is busy, things are happening, and other things...well, not so much.

So let's cut to the chase here. I know you've all (and by all, I mean all four of you) have been sitting on the edge of your seats all weekend waiting for photos of the new countertops. Well...it never happened. Something about snow & being short-staffed & having to reschedule. Which didn't seem like much of an excuse to me, especially given the fact that at our house we could still mow our lawn if we felt so inclined. And also because we live in Buffalo. There's no such thing as excuses when it comes to snow around here.

As of today, we're rescheduled for an install this coming Friday (fingers crossed!). The electrician showed up this morning to twiddle his thumbs & the contractor didn't bother to show at all. He must have had a premonition the countertops never arrived. Or I'm lying & really we just called him on the phone and told him not to bother coming until next week...

But that's not to say we haven't been busy getting some other work done in the kitchen! Here's what the pantry backsplash looked like after the laminate was removed:


After scraping & sanding (by hand & by way of 2 belt sanders...one of which we broke), a coat of primer & THREE coats of Glidden's "White by White" we have a refinished backsplash!


It's not perfect, but it'll do for now. We were unable to completely remove the adhesive that held the old laminate. So depending on the light & time of day you can see the wood isn't 100% smooth. I'm not sure how much harder we could have sanded--I mean, we did bust a belt sander for crying out loud! But I'm hoping the countertops will take away from the imperfections that were left behind. Remember when I said the old wood would look "charming" against the new elements of the kitchen?! Well folks--mission accomplished--we have ourselves a charming backsplash alright!

We also have plans to repaint the entire pantry. My desire to have the cabinets & moldings all match was a little ambitious of me (something I didn't really think about before picking up a paint brush). But if it all doesn't match just right, I'll be lamenting the "Dover White" vs. "White by White" color differential for as long as we live in this house.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! I'm off to tackle some painting in the pantry. I may as well do something while we wait for those countertops to arrive!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished